When my son, Kai, was searching for his first bearded dragon pet, all he knew was that he wanted a boy. I was concerned about the male vs female bearded dragon size. I was afraid a bearded dragon male might be huge! But, of course, I wanted to make sure he got the one he wanted! So, I was on the hunt to find out how the heck I would know the difference and the most accurate way to make sure we got him a male beardie! We had zero knowledge about bearded dragons, so we had no idea what the significant differences between their physical features would even be. I wanted to give some insight on how to determine the sex of a bearded dragon if you also don’t know the noticeable differences. Let’s face it, unless you and your family are experienced owners, you more than likely don’t know which differences to pay close attention to.
Whether you are in the market for a new bearded dragon or you are just curious, it is a good idea to know the physical traits between female and male beardies prior to purchase if you care about gender.
Comparing Male vs Female Bearded Dragon Size
Here are a few things we learned right away about male vs female beardies:
- It’s extremely hard to tell the sex of a beardie until it’s older, about 6 months or more. There are professionals who have different ways to more accurately determine a bearded dragon’s gender.
- When we asked the pet store whether the bearded dragon my son was interested in was a boy or a girl, we learned something very interesting! She said that they typically get all males at their store, but if you went to the other local pet store 2 miles away (we’re talking Petco vs Pet Smart) that they typically always get female bearded dragons only. Who knew? This is one of those things people just wouldn’t know ahead of time!
- The beardie’s gender will largely determine the size of the dragon, but so will its terrarium size, diet, and other factors.
Size of Male vs Female Bearded Dragons
Male bearded dragons tend to be larger than female dragons, with males’ body size reaching up to 24 inches in length, while females typically reach 18-20 inches. Additionally, males will have larger and more pronounced “beard” of spines under their chin, as well as larger femoral pores on their thighs. These physical differences can be used to sex bearded dragons. However, it is important to note that these characteristics may not be fully developed until the dragon reaches sexual maturity.
How to Tell the Sex of Your Bearded Dragon
There are several ways to tell the gender of a bearded dragon, but the most common and reliable method is to look for physical characteristics.
- Hemipenal Bulges at the base of the tail: Male bearded dragons have two hemipenal bulges at the base of their tail, which are visible when they are excited or stressed. A female’s tail will not have these bulges.
- Size of the Femoral Pores: Male bearded dragons have bigger femoral pores, which are located on the underside of their thighs. These are used for marking territory and attracting a mate.
- Beard size: Male bearded dragons have larger and more pronounced “beards” of spines under their chin. This is more visible when the dragon is excited or threatened.
- Size of a bearded dragon: Male bearded dragons are generally larger than females, with males reaching up to 24 inches in length, while females typically reach 18-20 inches.
- Head size: Male bearded dragons tend to have larger heads, and female dragons naturally have smaller heads.
- Tail size: A male bearded dragon’s tail is another thing that you can examine to determine sex! They will have a wider tail than a female, but it won’t necessarily be longer.
When it comes to the gender of your bearded dragon, it is important to note that these characteristics may not be fully developed until the dragon reaches sexual maturity, usually between 6-12 months of age. So, if you are looking to buy a baby beardie, you may be better off seeking a professional to help determine the bearded dragon gender. There are ways after they reach the age where you can tell that you can determine a bearded dragon’s sex. You can look at the femoral pores, beard size, overall size, head size, etc.
Other Posts You May Like: